Foundation Surgical Hospital of San Antonio recognized for superior outcomes in Bariatric Surgery for 9 years in a row, according to Healthgrades
San Antonio, TX (October 19, 2021) – Foundation Surgical Hospital of San Antonio is among the top 5 % in the nation for Bariatric Surgery and a recipient of the Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award for 9 years in a row (2012-2022) according to new analysis by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.*
Healthgrades Specialty Excellence Awards recognize hospitals with superior performance in specific specialty lines and specialty focus areas. For example, from 2017-2019, if all hospitals in the 16 states included in this analysis, as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving the Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award, on average 3,604 patients with complications could potentially have been avoided.* *
Additionally, from 2017-2019, patients treated in hospitals receiving the Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award, have, on average a 64.2% lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award.**
“We want to provide information to make finding a healthcare specialist an easier experience for consumers. Patients can feel confident knowing that hospitals that are recognized for their performance in Bariatric Surgery provide high-quality care and superior outcomes,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science, Healthgrades.
“At Foundation Hospital of San Antonio, we pride ourselves with the fact that we are committed to top notch patient care in bariatrics for more than 9 years in a row achieving the highest honor in superior care for our patients. We have a truly great team of staff and excellent physicians to care for our patients each and every day, thanking patients for trusting in our care standards. Our team is here to ensure patients have the very best experience and provide a hospital that is based on individualized care”, says Laura Sittler, CEO.
Foundation Surgical Hospital was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Recognized by Healthgrades for Superior Performance in Bariatric Surgery for 9 Years in a Row (2014-2022)
- Among the Top 5% of Hospitals Evaluated for Bariatric Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2020-2022)
- Among the Top 10% of Hospitals Evaluated for Bariatric Surgery for 9 Years in a Row (2014-2022)
- Five-Star Recipient for Overall Bariatric Surgery for 9 Years in a Row (2014-2022)
- Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Surgery for 3 Years in a Row (2020-2022)
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
Foundation Surgical Hospital of San Antonio is a 20 bed private suite facility with 5 state-of-the-art operating suites located in the South Texas Medical Center of San Antonio. Since opening our doors in 2007, our experienced team of professionals has been dedicated to providing you and your family with the highest level of care. Our outstanding 4-to-1 patient-to-nurse ratio ensures individualized attention and attentive care for every patient.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2017 through 2019. Due to the highly variable impact of the pandemic on hospital outcomes, Healthgrades made the decision to exclude cases with a COVID-19 diagnosis from the 2020 data in order to preserve the statistical integrity of our models and fairly evaluate clinical outcomes at all hospitals. To view the complete methodology, please visit: https://www.healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology
**Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of All-Payer data for years 2017 through 2019 and represent 3-year estimates for patients in 16 states for which all payer data was made available. (See 2022 Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Rating Methodology for more details)