Foundation Surgical Hospital joins National Obesity Care Week 2018: Pledge to Take ACTION to Change the Way We Care about Obesity
Today, more than 93 million Americans currently have obesity, and in the last 20 years, obesity rates have doubled among adults. It’s time to change the way we care about obesity. With obesity on the rise, our organization, alongside other organizations, must attack this disease from multiple angles and unite to overhaul the treatment of obesity. At Foundation Surgical Hospital we recognize this challenge and the important role we can play.
The 4th Annual National Obesity Care Week (NOCW) takes place October 7th through 13th, and seeks to ignite a national movement to ensure anyone affected by obesity receives respectful and comprehensive care. Foundation Surgical Hospital is proud to join the Campaign, which was founded by the Obesity Action Coalition (OAC), the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), the Obesity Medicine Association (OMA), The Obesity Society (TOS) and Strategies to Overcome and Prevent Obesity Alliance (STOP).
All NOCW supporters strongly believe that:
- Individuals with obesity must no longer be the target of weight bias in all of life’s settings, such as healthcare, employment, entertainment, and education.
- Individuals with obesity need to understand that this disease is not solely their responsibility and work with a healthcare provider to manage their obesity long-term.
- Like individuals with other chronic diseases, individuals with obesity must have access to and coverage of science-based treatments to improve their weight and health.
- Healthcare providers need to be trained to provide effective, compassionate science-based care and use of shared decision-making.
- Providers and policy makers must recognize the need for further investment in the education, prevention and treatment of the disease of obesity.
Although it is important to educate people about these reasons to care, we must also address barriers to care such as weight bias in both society and among the medical community. We need more voices – your voice – to reach our goal of achieving better care. You can join us and pledge to take ACTION to Change the Way We Care about Obesity.
Additional information about National Obesity Care Week and ways to take ACTION, including information and resources, is available on ObesityCareWeek.org/ACTION.
Mark your calendars, and join us in recognizing National Obesity Care Week, October 7th – 13th, 2018.